Monika Govekar-Okoliš, was born in Kranj, Slovenia. She graduated from the University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts from the general sociology in 1989 and from pedagogy in 1990. She has been a ”Young researcher” since 1991 at the Ministry of Science and Technology in Ljubljana and has studied at the Department of Educational Sciences, Faculty of Arts Ljubljana.
In 1994 she obtained a master’s degree with research work “Secondary Schools in Slovenia in Forming the National Identity of the Slovenians in the Second Half of the 19th Century”, and in 1997 she received a doctorate with research work of “Discipline and Educational Regime in Grammar Schools in Slovenia in years 1849-1914″. Since 1996 she has been regularly employed at the Department of Educational Sciences, Faculty of Arts Ljubljana. In 2008-2009 she was the President of the Expert Council of the Republic of Slovenia for Adult Education at the Ministry of Education and Sport.
Monika Govekar-Okoliš, PhD, teaches as the Associate Professor at four faculties of the University of Ljubljana (Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, Biotechnical Faculty). She is teaching History of Adult Education, History of Adult Education in Slovenia, SDPM Andragogika, Pedagogy with Andragogy, Pedagogy and Andragogy for Psychologists. She leads andragogical practice for students. She is the leader and lecturer of the study program for training “Education of mentors for practical training in work organizations” at the Center for Pedagogical Education, Faculty of Arts Ljubljana. It also educates professional staff in vocational training programs at this center. Her field of research is the global and Slovenian history of adult education, andragogy, education and training of teachers and mentors. In these fields she is taking part in several national and international projects (she ran three international projects), summer schools, workshops and seminars. She is a member of the European Society for Research on the Education of Adults and author of several scientific monographs, textbooks and articles, national and international.
- GOVEKAR-OKOLIŠ, Monika. Srednje šole na Slovenskem pri oblikovanju nacionalne identitete Slovencev v drugi polovici 19. stoletja, (Razprave FF). Ljubljana: Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete, 2010. 207 str., ilustr.
- GOVEKAR-OKOLIŠ, Monika, KRANJČEC, Renata. Mentorstvo v praktičnem usposabljanju v delovnih organizacijah, (Zbirka Razprave FF). 1. izd. Ljubljana: Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete, 2016.
- GOVEKAR-OKOLIŠ, Monika. Disciplina in vzgojni režim v gimnazijah na Slovenskem v letih 1849-1914, (Razprave Filozofske fakultete). Ljubljana: Znanstveni inštitut Filozofske fakultete, 2001.
- GOVEKAR-OKOLIŠ, Monika. Strokovne in gospodinjske šole na Slovenskem med letoma 1848 in 1914 = Vocational and domestic science schools in Slovenia between 1848 and 1914. Šolska kronika, 2014, letn. 23 = 47, št. 1/2, str. 83-101.
- GOVEKAR-OKOLIŠ, Monika. Secondary school legislation in Austria (1849-1914) and its effects on efforts to establish the Slovene language in grammar schools in the Primorska region. Annales, Series historia et sociologia, 2014, letn. 24, št. 2, str. 261-276.
- GOVEKAR-OKOLIŠ, Monika. The importance of the practical training of students at the University of Ljubljana in Slovenia. V: VETEŠKA, Jaroslav (ur.). Perspektivy učení a vzdělávání v evropském kontextu = Prospects of learning and education in European context. Praha: Universita Jana Amose Komenského Praha, 2012.